Tuesday, 15 June 2010

Can a head injury cause autism?

With this blog, I am fortunate to have a statistical package which gives me the search term that a person has entered in Google, or another search engine, which has then directed them to the blog. One of the most common questions I see entered is "Can a head injury cause autism?"

The answer of course is, yes!

Of course, autism can be caused by the expression of certain genes and here we see it run in families, usually down the make line of inheritance. The mistake which has been made by scientists researching into the genetics of autism however, is to give the general population the impression that all autism has a genetic component, which of course it certainly does not!

There are many routes to autism, of which the genetic route is just one. Oxygen starvation is another and so is a head injury. Anything which causes a brain to dysfunction on a permanent basis by in some way altering the structural or functional integrity of the neurology can cause the various groups of symptoms, which we come to recognise as autism. How do I know this? Because I treat children who have autism which has been caused by oxygen starvation at birth and I treat children who have autism, who have suffered a head injury. I discuss this at length in my book, 'Autism. - A guide to understanding and helping your child.'

Whatever the cause of autism, treatment is the same. First of all to discover the child's level of ability in all areas of development. Then to investigate any distortions of sensory perception, repetitive or self stimulatory behaviour and practical problems. Then to create a developmental environment and activities within that environment, which will not only help to reduce any problems of sensory perception and repetitive, self stimulatory behaviours, but which will also stimulate the development of the child. For more information on Snowdrop programmes of rehabilitation for autism, email us at snowdrop_cdc@btinternet.com or visit the website at http://www.snowdrop.cc

8 comments:

Kendra said...

Hello, I have a child with a Traumatic Brain Injury and desparately need help. She was just diagnosed with Autism and they siad because her brain will not heal her prognosis is poor. I need some advice.

Snowdrop said...

Hi Kendra.
I emailed you a while back but I only just noticed you left a comment on the blog too.

Anonymous said...

My husband sufferred a major head injury after a car accident 30 years ago. We have only been together 6 years but I notice problems with emotional expression and repetitive odd movements when stressed. His younger brother ssems unable to function on a normal level of social and emotional activity. I wonder if there is a level of autism involved.

Snowdrop said...

It is entirely possible.

Anonymous said...

So can you give an overview of how you treat autism caused by head injury?

Snowdrop said...

That is a very big and wide ranging question. Autism, as we all know, is a spectrum disorder and a person at one end of the spectrum will have a totally different set of problems to someone at the other end, both in type of problem and severity. A Snowdrop programme is individually tailored to a person's problems. If you email me, so I have an address to post back to, I will send you a copy of my book, which describes my philosophy in great detail. My email address is snowdrop_cdc@btinternet.com

Anonymous said...

Hi I am mum to 2 year 7 month girl not waiting for a label I quote because the professionals have been dragging their feet but we know our child best and she is autistic .we have been proactive and we have always been strong believers in the power of the brain and how it can be changed .we followed an American programme got good results now we are going to get in touch with snowdrop .one thing we see is the passion.the kind sir is screaming give me a chance but of course one has to be cautious..
May I mention it is because our daughter has made so much progress that the professionals are dragging even more .this really is worth trying ...

michelle said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.